Saturday, August 13, 2005

And the Drought Breaks

And all God's people said? "Amen!"

Yeah, we finally got some decent weather around here, mainly thunderstorms that give a lot of rain and a good light show. Let's see how long it lasts; hopefully for at least a few days because it's getting really freakin' hot again.

Had another taekwando lesson this afternoon. Today it was mostly practicing forms, kicks and high jumps. The high jumps? Suck. I like doing 'em, but I just can't jump that high. Stupid Irish genes... Meh. I still had to do my form blindfolded. Got dizzy and screwed up my directions. And I was almost done, too.

So I was in Waldenbooks at the mall today, and saw a display with a book that I've read and enjoyed (Cornelia Funke's Inkheart). One of the paperbacks I saw had a sticker on it that said, "Soon to be a major motion picture!" Me? I'm all "WHY DOESN'T HOLLYWOOD LEAVE MY BOOKS ALONE AND THINK UP ACTUAL MOVIES FOR A CHANGE?! IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE?!" No, I didn't actually yell that in the middle of the store, but I was thinking it. I mean, pfft, some on. Stop riffing offa books. I realize that this may seem like a large money-generating thing and that some directors actually do a good job of representing literature, I'm majorly of the opinion (read: fact) that movies =/= the actual quality of the book. Yes, there are a few very rare exceptions (*coughEllaEnchantedcough*), but the book-into-movie thing's starting to get really annoying. Blah. But anyway... Got a couple of new books, yay.

Current Mood: Slightly sleepy

Random Useless fact of the Day: Got the recommendation to test for my yellow belt, w00t!

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Julie, you might want to remove the "annonymous blog" option in your settings. Unless you are really interested in buying a corvette.

I feel your pain about movies. I am almost scared to watch the upcoming Chronicles of Narnia. I have such a cherished impression of Lewis that I'd hate anyone to mess it all up. At the same time, I am anxious to see it on the silver screen.

A perfect example is Hitchhikers Guide: the book was downright awesome. The movie sucked. It was like Hollywood forgot to read it first. They had to have read the cliff notes. They got the story right (mostly) but left out too much of what made the story absolutely hillarious...the dialogue and overly-sarcastic, dry humor.

ahbahsean said...

the singing dolphins paid for my price of admission... that was really all i needed from hitchhiker.