Friday, April 07, 2006

Sing a Song of HU- Eckankar

Before we get started here today, I would like to say that I won't be specifically making fun of the kooky religions. I'll let you do that yourself; I'll only be interjecting myself in occasionally. I'm not witty enough to do these things justice. If you hate the idea of a Cult of the Month, let me know so I can yell at my sister (it was her idea).

Name: Eckankar, Religion of the Light and Sound of God (o...kay...)
Founder: Paul Twitcher
Introduced as a Religion: 1965
Some Basic Beliefs: The Soul is eternal, and exists because God loves it. Contact of the ECK (Divine Spirit) is achieved through something called Soul Travel (Yeah, don't ask me what the heck that is).
Main Form of Worship (if any): As far as I can find (or as far as I want to look), it's relaxing and singing the word HU- the Sound of all sounds. (Well, if it's capitalized... */grammar nazi*)
Source of Info: Mostly seeing the ziggurat on top of the Temple of Eck in Minnesota, and watching as my sister Googled the thing. The site she came up with: eckankar.org
Next Month: Scientology! Come on, you guys know I hate Tom Cruise...

So yeah, this is sort of an expirimental thing. I'd appreciate comments on how to make it better, but please don't just flame me- according to today's standards, it's within my First Amendment rights to scrutinize weird religions. I'm not trying to be deliberately offensive to anyone. I'm merely a bored teenager with too much time on her hands.

No comments: