Tuesday, January 25, 2005

'Tis a Sucky Day

Especially if you're a dog. This afternoon, my neighbor came by to return a couple of things. I asked how Abby the Boxer was doing, since she'd been really sick lately. It turns out that she had to be put down (it's not "put to sleep". They're dead.) this morning. The vet originally thought that she had an intestinal blockage, and then maybe a few rips and tears. It was actually a tumor the size of a baseball that was in her liver and stomach. It was impossible to remove it, and even if it was possible to remove it would be useless. It was a cancerous tumor and it had already spread. At best, Abby would've lived about six weeks. If she made it that long, she would've been in agony all the way. It's better to just let any pet die in peace with their family surrounding them, instead of just letting them live in misery for a few weeks. I should know; I've had to see my dog be given "The Shot" before. It's really sad because Abby was only about 3 years old. That's around 28 in dog years. That's my brother's age, for Pete's sake.

This evening we also buried Tugger, a dachsund belonging to a friend of mine. He was plagued with a slipped disc, and the family couldn't afford the (already risky) surgery to fix it. He was a really great little guy; he came from my humane society. I guess he was really lucky to be living with a family that spoiled him rotten; that's all any dog could ask for.

So yeah, today was really crappy. On any and all levels.

Current Mood: Like I need to wash.

Random Useless Fact of the Day: I'm over halfway through the second-to-last book in "The Chronicals of Narnia." Not a bad series, I've read more intriguing stuff.

No comments: